Whether it is your first dental exam or one of many that you have had in your life, dental exams can raise anxiety levels for some people. Knowing what to expect at a dental exam in our Vancouver dental office can help ease some the anxiety that you may feel.
What to expect during a dental examination:
- Your overall oral health will be evaluated
- The risk of tooth and root decay along with bone and/or gum disease will be examined
- If necessary, tooth restoration or tooth replacement options will be presented
- Your bite and jaw function will be examined
- Stain removal and cleaning
- Proper education on the best brushing techniques for your implants, dentures or teeth
- Fluoride treatment if recommended
- Dental X-rays if necessary to diagnose any of the above or other dental problems
The dental hygienist or dentist will interview you regarding any current health issues, medications or pregnancies that might affect your oral health. Some diseases put you at risk for higher incidences of tooth decay or gum disease. For instance, pregnancy can cause a higher rick of gum disease. Medications might contribute to oral health problems associated with dry mouth, thrush or tooth decay. Arthritis patients may be assessed for a special type of toothbrush to assist with any efficiency problems that arise from the arthritis interfering with proper brushing techniques.
If you find that you have any questions during the dental exam, be sure to ask the dentist or hygienist so that they can properly address your concerns.